How can I give to support LFS?
Click here to set up a monthly gift or to make a one time donation.
Donate Furniture or Household Items
Thank you for your interest in donating essential items for refugees in Nebraska! Unfortunately, we are not able to pick items up. Please be sure to view our list of approved items and sign up for a designated drop-off time.
- Click here to select a time to drop off donations in Omaha
- Click here to select a time drop off donations in Lincoln
- Furniture must be in good repair
- Living room chairs
- Coffee tables
- End tables
- Dressers and wardrobe
- Dining room table and chairs
Accepted Household Goods
- Silverware sets
- Dish sets
- Mixing bowls/serving bowls
- Kitchen utensils
- Can openers
- Rice cookers
- Pressure cookers
- Kettle/water cooker
- Coffee maker
Accepted Bathroom, Bedroom and Household Supplies
- Shower curtain and curtain rods
- Mop and broom
- Light bulbs
- Trash bags
- Tool kits
- Items that must be new
- Linens, towels, bed sheets, and blankets
- Hygiene items
- Cleaning supplies
- Baby supplies
Items We Cannot Accept
- We cannot accept clothing donations
- We cannot accept used towels, linens, and bedding
- We cannot accept any furniture that requires more than two people to move
- Many of our clients live in apartments and smaller houses that do not have space for large furniture. Additionally, we need to be able to easily move furniture.
- We cannot accept used mattresses or bed frames
- We cannot accept used car seats or boosters
- We can only accept these items new to ensure the safety of our clients
- We cannot accept anything that is broken, missing hardware or in poor condition
Become a Corporate Impact Partner
Corporate Impact Partners and Event Sponsors ensure the growth and sustainability of vital programs that make a real impact on the lives of people who are most vulnerable.
For more information about becoming a Corporate Impact Partner or to sponsor an LFS event, contact our Events Coordinator at Emily.Flanery@OneLFS.org or (402) 880-5224.
Download our Corporate Impact Partners Brochure
How can I volunteer to support LFS?
Sign Up as a Volunteer
If you want to support LFS with your time and talents, please visit our volunteer website.
After you create a volunteer account, you will be able to learn more about the volunteer opportunities that are available.
Fremont - The Rupert Dunklau Center for Healthy Families
In 2007, the Rupert Dunklau Center for Healthy Families opened on the same Fremont site where LFS was founded as an orphanage back in 1892.
Today, the Rupert Dunklau Center focuses on early intervention, healthy parenting education and support of struggling families with children under age five and expectant mothers. The Rupert Dunklau Center serves hundred of parents and children annually.
By joining our Fremont volunteer team, the Fremont Family Friends, you can help in a number of ways:
- Fremont Family Friends Dinner – An annual fundraising event to raise awareness and support for the critical work done at the Rupert Dunklau Center for Healthy Families.
- Advisory Council – An opportunity to get involved and give input at quarterly meetings with the program coordinator to discuss various outreach and program needs.
- Sara’s Boutique – Gather diapers, seasonal clothing and other baby supplies for Sara’s Boutique, either individually or in a giving circle.
- Pat on the Back – Reward struggling parents who have worked hard to better their family within our Centers for Healthy Families.
- Share Your Skills – Read to children, help with scrapbooking or teach a budgeting class. Whatever your skill is, we can help you share it with those who want to learn.
Visit our volunteer website to join Fremont Family Friends.
Internships and Practicums
LFS offers internships and practicums through our various programs, including clinical and non-clinical opportunities.
You can submit an application on our volunteer website. Once you have applied, please send a cover letter detailing your areas of interest and internship requirements to Holly.Kaffenberger@OneLFS.org.
Serve on the LFS Board of Directors
We are honored that you are interested in serving as a board member on the Lutheran Family Services Board of Directors.
Lutheran Family Services of Nebraska has a mission to express God’s love for all people by providing quality human care services that build and strengthen individual, family and community life. Directors guide the organization’s policy direction in an effort to ensure that we accomplish our mission.
Thank you for considering Board of Directors involvement, and for the personal time and energy that you will be putting into this important aspect of building a stronger Board and thus a stronger community.
In our sincere effort to successfully recruit a qualified and diverse slate of candidates, we have developed a comprehensive selection process. The process includes the following six steps:
STEP 1: All interested parties should carefully review the Board Member Commitment Form to self-assess their qualifications and their realistic view of the time commitment that Board service will require.
STEP 2: Each candidate should then complete the electronic application in full. All applications must be received electronically. You will need the following to complete your application:
- Prior board experience
- Three references
- Volunteer experience
- Resume to upload
STEP 3: The Governance Committee will carefully review and assess all applications and will select candidates for further consideration.
STEP 4: The Governance Committee will select a group of candidates for in-person interviews.
STEP 5: The Governance Committee will select the finalist pool for full Board consideration.
STEP 6: The Board elects the new Directors at its third-quarter Board meeting to serve an initial three-year term, beginning January 1.