What began as an orphanage in Fremont in 1892 has grown into 46 programs that include adoption, foster care, maternal counseling, refugee resettlement, immigration legal services, substance abuse treatment, mental health services, crisis intervention training, veterans services, and so much more!
Lutheran Family Services is spending the month of August celebrating our 130th birthday! Over the last 130 years, thousands of children, families, and individuals have come to us for comprehensive and compassionate care.
Here’s to 130 more years of changing lives!
What does it mean to be 1 of 130?
This year, we’re celebrating our birthday in a new way: by engaging 130 sustaining givers! By becoming 1 of 130, you are choosing to make a monthly donation that will make a difference today and for the future of LFS.
You can be 1 of 130 by supporting us at one of the following levels:
- Founder’s Society – $18.92/month
- In honor of the year LFS was founded as an orphanage in Fremont.
- Frontline Society – $46/month
- In honor of our 46 programs, empower our front-line staff.
- Superintendent Society – $75/month
- The eventual salary of our orphanage superintendent who served voluntarily during the Great Depression.
- Anniversary Society – $130/month
- In honor of 130 years of LFS changing lives and an investment in 130 more.
- Founder’s Society – $18.92/month
How can my church be involved?
Churches can be 1 of 130 as well! Here are some ways that your congregation can engage:
- Collecting a Special Offering
- Dedicate 2022 Mission Festival in support of LFS
- Invite an LFS Speaker to your congregation
- Invite us to present at your area meetings (ie: cluster, circuit, ecumenical, etc…)
- Set up a TeleHealth monitor, allowing access to 40+ LFS programs right in your building
- Call on LFS to lead your ministry team through “Mental Health First Aid” Training
Contact Assistant Vice President, Joel Stoltenow, at JStoltenow@LFSneb.org to join today!
Upcoming 1 of 130 Events
We’ll be celebrating at a number of events in August. We hope you’ll join us this month in-person or by joining us as 1 of 130 sustaining givers.
Fremont Family Friends – August 2nd
- What: Join us for our 11th Annual Fremont Family Friends! You can join as an attendee or as a sponsor. If you can’t make it to the event, make a Gift from the Heart! All proceeds to benefit the Rupert Dunklau Center for Healthy Families.
- When: August 2nd from 5:30 – 9:30 p.m.
- Where: Fremont Golf Club in Fremont, NE
- RSVP: lfsneb.org/FFF22
Grand Island Meet and Eat - August 3rd
Come to hear about our expanding programs and our 130th anniversary campaign. Enjoy food and drinks with LFS Staff
- When: August 3rd from 4-6pm
- Where: Wave Pizza; 107 N Walnut St, Grand Island
- No RSVP Needed: Families welcome – bring your friends! Email Assistant Vice President of Development, Joel Stoltenow, at JStoltenow@LFSneb.org if you have any questions.
Council Bluffs Lunch and Learn – August 18th
- What: Join LFS staff and supporters to learn more about the important programs we offer in Council Bluffs!
- When: Thursday, August 18th from 12 – 1 p.m.
- Where: St John’s Lutheran Church in Council Bluffs, IA
- RSVP: Email Director of Development, Jennifer Unruh, at JUnruh@LFSneb.org
LFS Birthday Party – A Volunteer Recognition Event – August 21st
- What: A volunteer-recognition event for LFS volunteers to celebrate our 130th
- When: Sunday, August 21st from 1 – 4 p.m.
- Where: Camp Carol Joy Holling in Ashland, NE
- RSVP: Volunteers only, RSVP in VolunteerHub
Omaha Golf Outing – August 22nd
- What: An all-day golf scramble that is full of fun, prizes, and IMPACT! Join us as a team or as a sponsor.
- When: August 22nd from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Where: The Players Club in Omaha, NE
- RSVP: onelfs.org/OmahaGolf22
Lincoln Lunch and Learn – August 25th
- What: Join LFS staff and supporters to learn more about the important programs we offer in Lincoln!
- When: August 25th from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Where: Health 360 in Lincoln, NE
- RSVP: Email Assistant Vice President of Development, Joel Stoltenow, at JStoltenow@LFSneb.org